Arsenal Transfer Round Up: May 2016
Posted by John Smith | Published on June 1, 2016
Following the end of the 2015/16 Premier League season, Arsenal ended their campaign in impressive fashion by finishing above their biggest rivals – Tottenham Hotspur – on a dramatic final day of the season. They ended the league in 2nd place – their highest in 10 years. With the season all over, it gives the Gunners the opportunity to look into transfer market and invest on new recruits and strengthen the overall first team. Regardless of the fact that the transfer window has not yet opened yet, it does not stop Arsenal from making new signings, or, scout for new potential players. The following sums up all of Arsenal’s transfer and scouting activity for the month of May, with the support of the media.
- The biggest transfer news for the month of May for the North London side comes in the form of the transfer for Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka from German club Borussia Mönchengladbach for a fee estimated around £30m. The midfielder has been likened to famous midfielders such as Andrea Pirlo and Bastian Schweinsteiger. With great passing ability (83% approximately) as well as a being able to dictate the game, the deal could prove to be a very important one for the Gunners. Xhaka also has some similar statistics to current player Francis Coquelin, with both achieving an average of just under 3 interceptions a game.
- Following a season that has not lived up to his standards, Theo Walcott’s situation at Arsenal remains unclear. A proportion of fans have called for the winger to be sold whilst others are slowly losing faith in the England international. With each club having a big amount of money to spend before the new season, media outlets have suggested that West Ham are interested in making Theo Walcott their first ever signing since moving from Boleyn Ground to the Olympic Stadium for a fee of £20m.
- A big transfer story that has gained popularity this month comes in the form of potential interest from Arsenal for Juventus striker Alvaro Morata. The former Real Madrid midfielder has recently spoke of how he has received offers to play football in England, and has even gone on to liken his style of play to the English game. Media reports in Europe have spoke of how the Gunners have reportedly lodged in a bid of around €50m (around £38m) for the striker. Also in the news have linked Real Madrid in using the buy-back clause within Morata’s contract to then sell him on for a greater fee.
- Reports in Italy have spoke of increasing interest from AS Roma in Arsenal goalkeeper Wojceich Szczesny, and, how the Italian club wants to re-sign the keeper once again on loan. The reports have gone on to say that a meeting between the two clubs will take place in the near future to discuss the transfer. Szczesny had an okay debut campaign at Roma with 8 clean sheets in 34 appearances.
- According to reports earlier in the year, the release clause of Swiss left-back is set at just €24m (£18.6m) The 23 year old has been linked to a move to Arsenal according to reports from Germany such as famous outlet BILD. The Wolfsburg defender is interested in joining fellow countryman – and new Arsenal signing – Granit Xhaka to the Emirates for the upcoming season. Considering Arsenal already have two left backs in Nacho Monreal and Kieran Gibbs, it is unlikely that a deal will happen if both stay put at the club. However, if the reports are true, Arsenal could definitely see themselves getting a bargain for the defender.
- Another player who could be leaving Arsenal this summer could be English defender Calum Chambers. The 21 year old has not been given many opportunities at Arsenal since his arrival just under two years ago with former club Southampton looking to sign him on a loan deal. Media outlets in the United Kingdom have linked Chambers to return to former club Southampton on a loan deal.